Sunday, March 21, 2010

What this blog is about - Welcome to my Bookshelves!



I've always been a reader: when I was about 5, I read everything I could find about dinosaurs and remember arguing with the teacher in 1st or 2nd grade about what time range it was exactly when dinosaurs lived. Yes, I was that annoying, nerdy kid and not much has changed: only the hair has a lot more grey in it. But I became a computer programmer and not a paleontologist.

Over the years, I've read or accumulated a lot of books and there have been a lot of them that I've deeply enjoyed. Work has been pretty demanding over the past few years but I've still got a fairly decent collection that has been distilled down through the years and I will be using this blog to talk about my favorites. The photos above show something like 10% of my bookshelves.

Future topics:
- Are you a motorcyclist, got a motorcyclist in your life or willing to consider their viewpoint? Then you HAVE to read Peter Egan's books and a few others: Ted Simon, Austin Vince, Lois Pryce.

- Are you a gun nerd, got a gun nerd in your life or willing to consider their viewpoint? Then I have some books that are really worth a look. Women competing on an equal footing with men in 1906?! An NRA branch helping the NAACP in the South in the 1950s?! Interesting stuff.

- John Steinbeck...Richard Brautigan...Harlan Ellison...Neil Gaiman...

- Ben Gadd's fantastic "Handbook of the Canadian Rockies", a deeply entertaining book covering everything about one of the most gorgeous spots on Earth.

- Great tech books, e.g., some fantastic books about the history and techniques of cryptography/cryptanalysis.

And then there's the checkered story of the book shown below...

No comments:

Post a Comment